ATTENTION! - This position is available for Sri Lankan Citizens that are fluent in Sinhala only.
We are searching for commis chefs with a passion for cooking healthy and inspiring food to join our team at Ceylon Sliders.
As a commis chef at Ceylon Sliders, you will use your knowledge and experience of professional cooking to efficiently prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner in a small but very busy a la carte environment. You'll need to have a lot of stamina, be able to learn on your feet and be passionate about food because cooking in our kitchen is high pressure and hard work. You'll also need to be versatile, because it is important that you gain experience in all sections of the kitchen - fish, pastry, butchery and so on.
You will assist the sous chef and chef de partie, and help with writing prep lists, managing cleaning and hygiene procedures as directed. Our team is small and consist of many people with less experience, hence as a commis chef you will need to be a leader, and not only focus on your own work but also and inspire the less experienced in the team.
You have worked as a chef for several years as a commis chef or kitchen steward. You have experience of making food from all sorts of kitchens, vegan and raw as well as meat and fish and know how to mix western, Asian, American and Scandinavian cooking styles.
You will think it’s exciting to work with local produce and reduce the food waste and use of plastic products as researching and finding foods that are ethically produced. You will think creatively around food and love to do eye catching dishes.
You have no issue to work hard, under big stress and for long hours to make the guests happy! And you are a great team player in the kitchen as well as with the other departments, always communicating honestly and effectively with the rest of the team.
- A passion for the kind of food that we want to prepare
- A good chef and team player
- Can handle big stress levels and work long hours
- Experience of working in a professional kitchen
- Measuring dish ingredients and portion sizes accurately
- Dealing with deliveries and stock rotation
- Good at performing your duties and tasks given quickly and efficiently and taking initative to make the performance of the kitchen run better
- Can leave 2 references from previous jobs
- Sri Lankan Citizen - You need to have sri lankan citizenship as well as speak & write fluently in Sinhalese
- Good knowledge of speaking & writing in English (we have a foreign ownership; recipes, work manuals, meetings are in English as well as the fact that our guests are from all over the world)